OOPE and PmetB

It is essential that any plans you have to leave the scheme are communicated to Professor Meeran so that he can arrange cover for you. This needs to be at least six months before you want to leave. You need to get permission to take time off the programme from the deanery, using an OOPE form. In addition, if you want any of your time to count towards your CCT, you need to ALSO apply to PMETB (via the JRCPTB) for the time to be accredited. This can ONLY be done prospectively. 

There are three separate bodies involved here. 

The deanery usually allows a maximum of 3 years out of programme, as they are keen to maximise the rate at which consultants become available. The JRCPTB usually allow a maximum of 12 months credit towards a CCT of anything out of programme.

Fill the OOP Form. This needs to be signed by the Educational Supervisor and the Training Programme Director (Professor Karim Meeran at present in NW Thames). 

Fill the the JRCPTB application form and send it to the JRCPTB to apply for time to actually count. This form includes the Educational Supervisor's report. This means the supervisor of the research, not you current educational supervisor.

Send the OOP form and the JRCPTB letter to the Deanery. 

Once the Associate Dean (Dr. Andrew Deaner) has signed the OOP form, the deanery will send it directly to the PMETB (now GMC). 

The JRCPTB will then inform the candidate whether the Endocrinology SAC have awarded 12 months credit and will suggest changing the provisional CCT date (if the application meets the requirements). 

The PMETB (now GMC) will then send a letter confirming their approval, including the start and end dates of the OOPE and how much of that time will count towards the CCT. 

It will be sensible for you to keep a copy of everything you receive, as the postal service often lose important documents between these sites, and occasionally copies are needed from you. Sending forms by e-mail is also proof of when you sent it, so do that ALSO.